A shaman drum was probably one of the first instruments that was used all over the world. The sound will soothe your mind and relax your tense muscles.
If you are looking for a smaller drum that is suitable specially for children or travelling, please check our S size drums. If you are looking for a bit lighter drum but with a deep sound, take a look at the selection of our M size drums.
How to care for your new drum:
Shaman drum is a carefree instrument if you remember a few basic things:
- use grease or some leather conditioner couple times a year
- keep the drum for example on the wall but not directly in the sunlight or near a heater (strong air conditioning can also dry the drum)
- don’t leave the drum in a hot car during the summer
- the drum doesn’t like dry air. The risk is that the drumhead becomes too tight causing it to rip (usually really cold weather equals dry air)
- instructions for caring for the drum are included in the package.
The drum is very sensitive to the air humidity loosening it in a moist weather and tightening it in a dry weather. This affects the sound as well.
If your drum is too loose, you can dry it e.g. in the sunlight or with a hair dryer.
If your drum is too tight, you can spray water on the skin or wipe it with the moist cloth. The drumhead doesn’t respond immediately so wait a couple of minutes.
Watch our video and learn more about tuning (third video from the top).
If you liked to paint or add your own symbols to the drumhead, you can use acrylic- or oil colours (please test first on a small area). Our drums are greased once the drumhead is attached, so that it does not rip, therefore it would be good to avoid painting straightaway after you have received the drum. Please contact us if you have any concerns regarding painting the drum.
The frame is made of birch plywood which is very suitable for carving your own symbols or adding some paint. You could also decorate your frame with different kind of talismans, feathers, pearls and other elements of your liking.
Blessing the drum
Blessing a drum is an old tradition in which the energies of the drum and the owner merge and the drum becomes your own. Though, blessing is recommended, it is not necessary, you can still use the drum without doing it.