Made from reindeer hide, shaman drum is M-sized (diameter 41 cm) unique drum. The frame is made from 7 mm double layered birch plywood which has been treated with a wood wax. Hide is from Finnish reindeer which is left natural or coloured with water stain. Every drum is unique. Round shaped handle is attached to the back with strings. Drumstick is felted.
Our M-sized drum is a perfect basic drum. The sound is deep and vibrating. If you are looking for a serious sound and vibration (for example musicians) choose L-sized drum.
Shaman drum is a carefree instrument if you remember a few basic things:
- use grease or some leather conditioner couple times a year
- keep the drum for example on the wall but not directly on the sunlight or near a heater (strong air conditioning can also dry the drum)
- don’t leave the drum in a hot car during the summer
- The drum doesn’t like dry air humidity. The risk is that the hide becomes too tight causing it to rip (usually really cold weather equals dry air)
- you can find more information from the caring instructions that comes with the drum.
The drum “lives” with the air humidity loosening it in a moist weather and tightening it in a dry weather. So, air humidity influences the sound. If your drum is too loose you can dry it in the sun or for example with a hair dryer. If your drum is too tight you can use water to moist it (for example spraying water on top of the hide or wiping with a moist cloth). The hide doesn’t respond immediately so wait a couple of minutes. Watch our video and learn more about tuning (third video from the top).
You can decorate your drum if you want. You can use an acrylic- or oil colours to paint your own art on the hide (test first if you are using different paints). You can attach talismans on the frame or carve symbols to it.
Christening a drum is an old tradition in which the drum and the owner becomes “one” and the drum turns personal. Christening is not necessary just an old tradition.