Sami drum is a beautiful and mystical instrument which hide is left natural and it’s decorated with hand painted ancient shamanic symbols. Shaman drum may be one of the first instruments used all around the world. Our Sami drum is made from double layered birch plywood which is treated with wood wax.
Sami drum L has beautiful and deep sound which will lead its listener to the Laplandic atmosphere while soothing the mind. High quality oval shaped Sami drum is handcrafted in Finland.
Shaman drum is a carefree instrument if you remember a few basic things:
- use grease or some leather conditioner couple times a year
- keep the drum for example on the wall but not directly on the sunlight or near a heater (strong air conditioning can also dry the drum)
- don’t leave the drum in a hot car during the summer
- The drum doesn’t like dry air humidity. The risk is that the hide becomes too tight causing it to rip (usually really cold weather equals dry air)
- you can find more information from the caring instructions that comes with the drum.
The drum “lives” with the air humidity loosening it in a moist weather and tightening it in a dry weather. So, air humidity influences the sound. If your drum is too loose you can dry it in the sun or for example with a hair dryer. If your drum is too tight you can use water to moist it (for example spraying water on top of the hide or wiping with a moist cloth). The hide doesn’t respond immediately so wait a couple of minutes. Watch our video and learn more about tuning (third video from the top).
Christening a Sami drum is an old tradition in which the drum and the owner becomes “one” and the drum turns personal. Christening is not necessary just an old tradition. Read more about shamanism.