A M-sized (diameter 41 cm) unique shaman drum. The frame is made of 7 mm double layered birch plywood which has been treated with a wood wax. The drumhead is made of Finnish reindeer skin which is coloured with water stain. Round shaped handle is attached to the back with strings. Drumstick is felted.
Our M-sized drum is a perfect basic drum. The sound is deep and vibrating. If you are looking for a serious sound and vibration (for example musicians) choose L-sized drum.
Shaman drum is a carefree instrument if you remember a few basic things:
- use grease or some leather conditioner couple times a year
- keep the drum for example on the wall but not directly in the sunlight or near a heater (strong air conditioning can also dry the drum)
- don’t leave the drum in a hot car during the summer
- The drum doesn’t like dry air. The risk is that the drumhead becomes too tight causing it to rip (usually really cold weather equals dry air)
- you can find more information from the caring instructions that comes with the drum.
The drum is very sensitive to the air humidity loosening it in a moist weather and tightening it in a dry weather. This affects the sound as well. If your drum is too loose you can dry it in the sun or for example with a hair dryer. If your drum is too tight you can use water to moist it (for example spraying water on top of the hide or wiping with a moist cloth). The drumhead doesn’t respond immediately so wait a couple of minutes. Watch our video and learn more about tuning (third video from the top).
You can decorate your drum if you want. You can use acrylic- or oil colours to paint your own art on top (test first if you are using different paints). You can attach talismans on the frame or carve symbols to it.
Christening a drum is an old tradition in which the drum and the owner becomes “one” and the drum turns personal. Christening is not necessary just an old tradition.